How can I help my friend?
If someone you love is in an emotionally abusive relationship,
there are things that you can do to help.
Here are ten tips to help you.
- Remind your friend often about the things that you love about her. You may be the only person she hears it from.
- Stay connected. Pop over for a visit, take her for coffee and organise time to hang out. This keeps you both connected and helps avoid her being completely isolated.
- If your friend does open up to you - listen to her. Make sure she knows that you believe her and try not to pass judgement at her partners behaviours.
- You can raise the issue with her. It's important to remember that she is in love. Always question the behaviour and not the person. You can say things like, "Babe, I heard you had to ask for permission to hang out with us. Are you OK with that?" or "Hun, do you really think that someone who loves you would not come home at night and give you no reason?"
- Share or talk about the Featured Stories on our website - to show her that change can happen and the power of self-love.
- Look after yourself too. Filling your cup of with lot's of self-loving activities it's even more important now than ever. You're giving away a bit more energy than you're used to. You're important too babe!
- Have your own support person to chat to about the situation. You need to vent and get things off your chest from time to time.
- Know your limits. There may come a time when you need to step away for your own wellbeing. Ask your support person to help you identify when that might be. If you have to distance yourself, know that's ok too.
- Know that success doesn't always look like your friend leaving the relationship. It can take an average of 7 attempts for someone to successfully leave. Just having the conversations and showing that you care is a measure of success in itself.
- Don't be afraid to bring in help. Get your friend connected with a support service and if you feel she may be in danger call the Police immediately on 111.
For more helpful tips or support services - click here.